Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Which edition is the best for collectors? Limited Edition, Open Edition or Time Release Edition?

This question came to my mind when I saw a Facebook post on the limited edition Damien Hirst prints. It got me really excited and then I realised that it was a limited time release prints upon clicking the link. Why did my excitement subside? Shouldn't I be glad that I am able to buy the prints without constant F5ing and curse at those who used bot to buy? Ok, let me admit here, I am not really a fan of Damien Hirst and also not a fan of prints. But are these the reasons or is it because it is not a limited edition? 




As much as I want to say that limited edition does not play a part on my decision in buying art/toys, I must be lying straight in your face. Of course it does matter. However, it also depends on the artists. I would have no qualm about buying an open edition Kaws piece. That being said, it is not even easy to get a Kaws open edition toys these day, I wish he could actually release a limited time release toys to satisfy all his fans. Will it have no value? I doubt since we do see that the open edition releases are fetching higher than the retail price in StockX. Take the recent Law Holiday release as an example. It is an open edition and it is currently fetching 3 times the retail price in StockX



So it all depends how popular the artist is, whether the print/toy is appealing to the collectors and most importantly, whether the price is reasonable. At the end of the day, I can only give an advice to new collector : Buy toy/art that you like and not because you think it will worth more in the future. 

Drop me a comment and join our Telegram chat group where we discuss all things that are toys related. You may even hear the upcoming releases here though I guess Instagram have all the latest news these days








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...